In this article, we are going to learn why your competitors rank so high and how we can beat them. First, have you ever ask a question to yourself that why your competitor’s site rank so high, how they are achieving this and what am I missing?
If you are just a place lower than that of your competitor’s site for any keyword than you can’t imagine how much they are benefiting. They, are benefitting infinitely more than that you for that keyword. They are getting more traffic and more sales no matters even your site performs well for that keyword.
It’s all about the rankings for your target keyword. If I say that your rankings can be improved! What do you think? It just takes a while to understand. First, learn why your competitors rank so high.
It’s all about search engine optimization (SEO). For building a good, fantastic and long-lasting website, a good competitive SEO analysis lays a strong foundation. Many founders and publishers rely on SEO to improve search performance.
So, now take are going to talk about some SEO analysis criteria:
- Use of Keywords: This is one of the important reasons why your competitors rank so high than yours. Search Engines search according to the keywords provided by users. So check how consistently and frequently keywords are used on your competitors’ site as compared to your own. Keywords must present in the main on-page elements like title, description, headers, and image alt attributes. Data will not make you rank but it will guide your understanding of what’s going on with your SEO and where it needs to go.
- Using Top Ranking Keywords: keywords decide who will come first in SERPs? Check if why your competitors rank so high keywords, the volume of searches for the keywords, ad positioning on a search engine for the top keywords, number of location-specific keywords, number of short-tail and long-tail keywords and SERP position for sets of ranking keywords. These factors mostly affect the SERPs position.
- Web Page Structure and technology besides its creation: Nowadays you have seen many websites that are having so good layout. Also now CSS is being used in website designing. Highly ranked websites are using this CSS grid system and enrich the user experience about the site. There are many factors in addition to site layout which include URL structure, navigational structure, and linking structure.
Some websites do a good job of optimizing most SEO factors. The hosting server also has an effect on-site SEO to a certain extent. If the site’s hosting server is not reliable to the user experience of the site, then it will have a direct impact on the overall SERP ranking of the site. Servers have access to the cloud infrastructure which normally increases site speed, hence improves the SERP position of the site.
- Elements of Usability: There are many elements of usability that can affect search ranking. Some of the elements of usability are Page loading time, user-friendly navigation, typography, broken pages, 404 pages, browser compatibility, etc. If your competitor’s site contains these aspects then it can affect their search ranking.
- Content-Based Analysis: Some of the criteria based on content which can be compared between sites are; keyword usage, length of the content, language and grammar, videos and images headings, navigation, how often blog is updated, social media connections, presence of promotional offers, whether there is a blog associated with the websites, structure of the content and how many keywords are they using. These are the content-based criteria which decide the website ranking.
- Traffic Analysis: This criterion can be placed among the top three. Who knows, your competitors may be building links. You can’t even imagine how these links are helping them. They are increasing their search ranking. These links can be from standard sites like business directories, blog commenting, etc.
- Social Media Reach: Social Media contributes significantly to the ranking of any website. Check which social media sites your competitors are visible on. Check the level of engagement on these sites and how many followers are following them. Also, the average number of mentions they get over a while on social media because it will decide is their site is growing or not? These factors significantly increase site ranking.
- Using Snippets: Snippets are the search results that include extra information in a snippet that appears in SERPs. This can be images, videos or extra content. Providing rich snippets will give searchers more information about a particular website than a regular snippet.
- Code: Code must be good in itself. But you can’t say that it will get you ranking. Although, not having a good code will keep you from ranking.
There are many resources from where you get much information on how to provide proper code that works well with the major search engines (for example YouTube). For most builders, technical SEO is a fundamental basis. Fixing the code on the site is the most basic step to getting into the game of SEO. Good SEO pros can make a difference with technical SEO and changing code which makes great SEO.
- Content: Your site content must be user satisfying. It must include the words that users who are looking for your goods and services. It makes the content effective for search engines as well. If your content is working for your audience, then you can also make a few dollars through a Google Ads account or Facebook campaign.
- Communicating and building connections: Having connections to social media is one of the greatest reasons why sites are being popular and how people come to know about them. Social media has also made the rankings of the site. Connections are what separate good SEO from SEO. Therefore, you must spend your time and effort cultivating relationships with the people. Although social media will not provide you with direct SEO benefits. But social media is very important to the success of any SEO program. Also having a robust and social media presence helps with a brand’s recognition. It will help the site’s get clicks in search engine results. Hence social media is the single tool for cultivating relationships and communicating values to influencers.
For having the right influencers, you must know how a link is valued by the search engine and the importance of each link to your web property.